Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Race to Nowhere: Jason Mraz talks about his hit song "I'm Yours"


I have been a Jason Mraz fan since he stepped on the scene back in 2002. 'The Remedy (I Won't Worry)' is a song that I am proud of saying is on my iPhone 3G to this day. Jason's songwriting skills are top of the crust, recently winning the Hal David Starlight Award. I ran into Jason in Manhattan a few days ago and with the few moments I had with him in Time Square, I asked him about the inspiration behind his inspirational hit "I'm Yours". And this is what he had to say about it.


"
I’m Yours was a song about giving in to that inspiration; it was about generosity, giving yourself and time to someone else," said Jason as he checked his surroundings. "The setting was great. I had once visited Bob Marley’s house in Kingston, Jamaica and I thought, man, I would like to have a house like this – where my band could live and we could all work together. So on the day that I wrote it, I realized that all of the dream that I had at Bob’s house, had happened. The band was in the other room working things out, the sun was shining and the song itself unfolded. It wasn’t until a couple of weeks ago that I realized that I was influenced by that experience in Jamaica.”

No comments:

Post a Comment